With the name of Allah, Most Kind Most Merciful…
All Praise and Glory to Allah who has sent us the Quraan to guide us and Peace and Blessings on the final Messenger, Muhammed!
What’s the purpose of fasting(sawm)? What are the expected outcomes?
The answer is quite simple – Chapter 2 Verse 183
لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ – To develop your Taqwa
What is Taqwa? – An infusion of Love and Fear of Allah(SWT) or A heightened awareness of Allah(SWT)’s presence…
So after the task(of fasting) what should the student achieve?
In one word the Outcome would – TAQWA
How would one recognize and rate the TAQWA, what are the practical qualities, behaviors’ that need to be measured?
Acticity 10.1 – Has fasting increased my TAQWA?
For our case study, I have taken just one set of verses to draw the measuring qualities to test any progress in TAQWA after the activity of fasting.
Surah 3 Verses 133 – 135
وَسَارِعُوا إِلَى مَغْفِرَةٍ مِنْ رَبِّكُمْ
Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord,
وَجَنَّةٍ عَرْضُهَا السَّمَاوَاتُ وَالأرْضُ
and for a Garden whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth,
prepared for the righteous,
(Those with TAQWA)
1) Increase our frequency of asking Allah(SWT) for forgiveness. The Prophet(SAW) is reported to have said “I seek for forgiveness from Allah more than 100 times a day “
2) Increase our attention and focus of the real goal of attaining Al Jannah. Yeah, imagine you are granted Al Jannah, and you are taken to these huge beautiful gates that lead to you castle, and your land stretched from Mercury to Pluto or even much more J Insha Allah!
|(Those with TAQWA)
الَّذِينَ يُنْفِقُونَ فِي السَّرَّاءِ وَالضَّرَّاءِ
Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity;
who restrain anger,
وَالْعَافِينَ عَنِ النَّاسِ
and pardon (all) men;
وَاللَّهُ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
for Allah loves those who do good;-
3) Increase the value and frequency of giving of our wealth for the upliftment of the poor and needy regardless of economic conditions.
4) Strengthen our control over our anger. The Prophet(SAW) is reported to have said “When you are angry, sit down, if you are still angry, lie down”. Simple but really effective advice. Yap, I have never seen 2 people screaming at each other whilst sitting down.
5) Soften our hearts, remove our prejudices, make us, more forgiving. Fasting should give us the strengthen to overlook peoples faults. This very act of forgiving and overlooking each others faults is the necessary glue that our ummah needs for unity.
let them forgive and overlook
أَلا تُحِبُّونَ أَنْ يَغْفِرَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ
do you not wish that Allah should forgive you?
وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ
For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”S24V22
|(Those with TAQWA)
وَالَّذِينَ إِذَا فَعَلُوا فَاحِشَةً
And those who, having done something to be ashamed of
أَوْ ظَلَمُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ
or wronged their own souls
earnestly bring Allah to mind,
and ask for forgiveness for their sins,-
وَمَنْ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلا اللَّهُ
and who can forgive sins except Allah?-
وَلَمْ يُصِرُّوا عَلَى مَا فَعَلُوا وَهُمْ يَعْلَمُونَ
and are never stubborn in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done.
6) Increase our awareness of our own weakness’s and sins. Fasting should cause a heightened concern of our very own characters and lead us to self inspection. One of the meanings of TAQWA is “To guard oneself against evil”. In Ramadaan, through fasting we are strengthening our will power. Fasting is a way to strengthen ourRESISTANCE to anything that displeases Allah(SWT). Fasting teaches us to say “NO”. If we can say “NO” to food for 12 hours than we are preparing ourselves to say “NO” to Shaytaan when he calls us to lie, cheat, hate, steal, backbite, ….
|“Ramadan is a month
whose beginning is Mercy,
whose middle is Forgiveness
and whose end is freedom from the fire.” – Hadith
Scorecard – Rate yourself 0 – 5
0 – No improvement / increase
5 – Maximum improvement / increase
|Measurable quality / activity||0 – 5|
|1) Frequency of seeking Allah’s forgiveness|
|2) Strengthening our goal of attaining Al Jananh|
|3) Giving of our wealth|
|4) Anger Control|
|5) Ability to forgive and overlook|
|6) Self awareness of our weakness’s, our sins and our resistance to sins and shaytaans whispers|
May Allah(SWT), the Most Kind, Most Merciful, make this month of Ramadaan easy and filled with blessings for you and your family!
May Allah(SWT) increase our closeness to Him, our Love for Him and our Obedience to Him in this Blessed Month of the Quraan,
And May Allah(SWT) strengthen our resistance to shaytaan, grant us greater control over our anger and soften our hearts so
That we may forgive and overlook each others faults…
May Allah(SWT) strengthened Deen Al Islam in our country in this month and the coming years and establish
Peace, Mercy, Love and Unity in the Ummat of Muhammed(SAW) in our country and throughout the world…